Hey everyone, I know the winter can feel long, but see below for some ideas for keeping active during the winter and getting a jump on the spring, when you actually want to go outside.
- Change the way you look at winter. It’s not just cold, it’s a whole new season to get out and try something different. All that clothing makes you work harder!
- Get outside and play! Did you know making snow angels burns 214 caloires per hour on average? How about have a snowball fight? Whether you win or lose you can burn on average 319 calories per hour or build a snowman (285 calories per hour)
- Go skating! You live inOttawa! It’s Winterlude! Ice Skating can burn more than 450 calories per hour and it’s a fun way to seeOttawafrom a different perspective!
- Still finding it difficult to get outside? Throw your clothes in the dryer for a couple minutes before going out, that way you won’t feel too drafty when you first get outside into the beautiful sunshine.
- Do your homework! As a Core Conditioning member you have workouts sent to you each week. Try doing them outside if you want to get out of the house and try something different.
- Avoid fancy coffee drinks – they can be laden with up to 700 calories. Go for a regular coffee or tea with a little milk instead.
- Keep to your chores – did you know that walking the dog for 30 minutes at a decent pace can burn 125 calories? Or that shovelling the snow which is a must at times can burn 230 calories in 30 minutes?
- Listen to music while you workout – I know you love my tunes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but bring some music with you when you get outside.
- Be sure to warm up and do your joint mobility exercises before working out or doing anything strenuous. It’s cold out and your muscles and joints will appreciate the extra attention.
- Have Fun! If it isn’t fun, you won’t do it. Be creative and find new ways to have fun while being active!