So below is a Core Conditioning Kitchen Tested recipe and I have to say it’s amazing. I am in general skeptical of tofu, mostly because I haven’t known what to do with it, but in one of the recipes I substituted some of the tofu for quinoa and fried it up that way and it was still awesome! Plus all the benefits of quinoa are packed in there.
Some other tips: I used firm tofu and I heard that if you freeze the tofu before crumbling it, it will crumble better.
Recipe Yields 8 to 10 tacos
- 1 (16 ounce) package garden herb tofu, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 medium taco shells, heated
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Over a medium heat fry the tofu, oil, garlic and onion in a large skillet for 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, paprika, cayenne, cumin, salt, lime juice and tomato sauce to the skillet and stir. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Spoon mixture in a serving bowl.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into taco shells. Top the mixture with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, Cheddar cheese and salsa.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 278 | Total Fat: 18.3g | Cholesterol: 15mg